Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
DH and I made this salad to accompany a grilled chicken souvlaki dish that we made for dinner. The salad was really tasty. It is from my Bobby Flay "Boy Meets Grill" cookbook.
- 1 eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch slices (about 1 lb)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, plus extra for brushing the eggplant
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high.
- Brush the eggplant with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until soft, with visible grill marks, about 4 minutes on each side. Cut into 4 inch cubes.
- Whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil, garlic, chile powder, oregano, and vinegar in a large bowl until combined. Add the eggplant and red onion, toss to coat with dressing, season with salt and pepper, and crumble feta cheese over the top.
I grilled the eggplant on my cast iron grill on my cooktop and it worked wonderfully. Loved the Greek flavors, and it was so easy to put together that it can be an easy and tasty weeknight salad.
We really love eggplant and this dish delivers on flavor. I used Japanese eggplant and grilled them on my electric in-door grill. Took another reviewer's suggestion and let the dish sit awhile to allow the flavors to meld. Made for the Best of 2014 tag game.
I love this salad! The flavors meld wonderfully and it makes such a lovely presentation! DH suggested we grill up some chicken breast, sprinkled with Greek seasoning, and serve thinly sliced over the salad. Yum! I know this will be on our lunch and dinner table on a regular basis. Made for FF&F Best of 2014.