Mmmmmmmmm......Pile these on a warm piece of pita bread stuffed with feta cheese and pitted kalamata olives. Now this is eating!
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegan sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 -20 medium-size mushrooms, brushed clean,stems removed,cut in half
- Combine all ingredients except mushrooms in a small pan; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Allow mushrooms to cool in liquid.
- (Best results if you take mushrooms and liquid when cool and refrigerate, allowing to marinate, up to 4 days) Thread mushrooms on metal skewers or wood skewers that have soaked at least 20 minutes in warm water (to prevent burning).
- Discard marinade.
- Grill skewers 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat, turning once.
- Serve with warm pita bread, feta cheese and kalamata olives, if you desire.