Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 mins
Mmmmmmmmm......Pile these on a warm piece of pita bread stuffed with feta cheese and pitted kalamata olives. Now this is eating!
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegan sugar (or granulated sugar)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 -20 medium-size mushrooms, brushed clean,stems removed,cut in half
- Combine all ingredients except mushrooms in a small pan; simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Allow mushrooms to cool in liquid.
- (Best results if you take mushrooms and liquid when cool and refrigerate, allowing to marinate, up to 4 days) Thread mushrooms on metal skewers or wood skewers that have soaked at least 20 minutes in warm water (to prevent burning).
- Discard marinade.
- Grill skewers 3-4 minutes per side over medium heat, turning once.
- Serve with warm pita bread, feta cheese and kalamata olives, if you desire.
These are awesome. So easy to make, so full of flavor. We ate them wrapped in a pita with kalamata olives and feta cheese. For ease of preparation, instead of threading the shrooms on skewers I just cooked them in my grill basket. What a breeze. Absolutely divine!! Thanks for posting. Next time I will triple the recipe.
These were good, very tasty but we found it a bit tangy for our taste. It helped eating this with rice. Thanks for letting us try this.
Great recipe. Initially, I thought the mushrooms would turn out too tart, also, but I needn't have feared. Once removed from the marinade and finished off on the grill, they were absolutely PERFECT. A complement to our grilled Father's Day lunch in way-too-hot Greece.