1/1 Photo of Grilled Mediterranean Kebabs on Pita
1 hr 12 mins
Sue Lau's Note:
It was a nice warm day, and I had some lamb and inspiration hit! Naturally the desire for something nice and charred overcame me, but if you like, these can also be prepared in the broiler or oven.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Kebabs
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb (may use up to 50% ground beef chuck)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large white onion, grated
- 5 -6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 lemon, juice of (without seeds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (may use 1/3 amount dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, minced (may use 1/3 amount dried)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced (may use 1/3 amount dried)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 9 -12 metal skewers or 9 -12 bamboo skewers
- 9 -10 large warmed pita bread or 9 -10 large lavash bread, pieces
Suggested Pita Toppings
- prepared tzatziki, sauce (buy this or you may use Tzatziki) (optional)
- crumbled feta cheese (optional)
- chopped fresh Italian parsley (use heavily for the best effect) (optional)
- chopped ripe tomato (optional)
- minced white onion (optional)
- za'atar spice mix (buy this or may use Za'atar) (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1If using bamboo skewers, soak them submerged in warm water for 30 minutes to one hour before using.
- 2Combine ingredients for kebabs in a mixing bowl and stir thoroughly or use hands to mix until all ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- 3Prepare grill.
- 4Oil your hands and make meatballs (koftas) or, if you prefer, torpedo shapes about 6-inches long and place these on prepared skewers (about 3 koftas per skewer) and set them onto waxed paper while finishing the others.
- 5When all skewers are prepared, grill them over moderately hot coals (may also use broiler or oven, but will lose the char-grilled flavor), until cooked through, turning once.
- 6Prepare sandwich by warming pita or lavash and placing three (4 if necessary) koftas on the bread or one torpedo, plus some of the tzatziki.
- 7Sprinkle heavily with the parsley, add some feta cheese, some chopped tomato, a light sprinkling of minced onion, a few pinches of za'atar and cayenne (if you like it spicy, but the za'atar gives a nice flavor!) (Or you may use whatever toppings you prefer).
- 8Roll up the bread without tearing it, wrap gently with foil or plastic wrap, and serve (I like to serve this with Greek Salad Greek Salad, and some fresh fruit, but lots of Greek and/or Middle Eastern recipes would go great with this!).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Mediterranean Kebabs on Pita
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 944.1
- Calories from Fat 427
- Total Fat 47.4 g
- Saturated Fat 18.8 g
- Cholesterol 229.9 mg
- Sodium 1444.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 44.4 g