These are not your average stuffed peppers, there is no rice, bread, pasta, or any grains. This is more of a warm salad grilled in the peppers and topped with "gooey" cheese. It is the perfect summer food. And don't worry if you don't have all of the same ingredients - use your favorites. These are what I had on hand and they worked really well. Sounds like a lot, but it really isn't difficult. They were a definite hit. A perfect side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 yellow bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise (keep the stem on, remove the seeds and ribs, red peppers are fine too, I just happen to like the col)
- olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and rough chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can black olives, sliced (buy they pre-sliced to save time)
- 1 (7 ounce) package frozen spinach, drained well (I didn't use all the spinach, about 1/2, but as mentioned, this recipe is so easy you can really use)
- 3 plum tomatoes, lightly seeded and diced
- 1 small onion, fine chopped
- 2 scallions, diced fine
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, fine chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, fine chopped
- kasseri cheese (you can substitute any good melting cheese, I just happen to love Kasseri)
- 1Stuffing -- In a large bowl, add the beans, artichokes, olives, spinach, tomatoes, onion, scallions, parsley, basil, red wine vinegar, olive oil and oregano and mix well to combine. Add the feta and toss lightly.
- 2Peppers -- Cut a small thin slice off each pepper on the bottom so the pepper will sit flat, but don't cut all the way through. Stuff each pepper with the stuffing mixture and then rub or brush olive oil on the outside of the pepper.
- 3Grill -- I grilled mine on medium heat, but on a cooler part of the grill (or indirect heat) so it isn't over direct flames. You don't want the peppers to burn. The pepper will take about 20-25 minutes. Note: If needed, you can place a piece of foil (large enough to accommodate the 8 peppers) on the grill, so if the peppers start to get too brown on the bottom you can transfer them to the foil and they will continue to cook but won't burn. The last 3-4 minutes, top with the Kasseri cheese. Cook until melted.
- 4Serve -- Just enjoy them.
- 5Note: These can also be made in the oven, but they don't have the same flavor. The smoky flavor is what makes these so good.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Mediterranean Salad Stuffed Peppers
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.7
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 16.6 mg
- Sodium 692.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 9.6 g