1/1 Photo of Grilled Shrimp and Pitas With Chickpea Puree
Canned chickpeas are delicious when mashed with garlic, lemon, olive oil, and parsley. Serve them with grilled shrimp and pitas for a quick Greek-inspired warm-weather dish from Quick From Scratch One-Dish Meals. Wine: The ingredients here practically demand the citrus and herb flavors of a sauvignon blanc. A version from California will be a bit softer than the classic French Sancerre or Pouilly-Fumé, but in this case avoid wines labeled Fumé Blanc. Though also made from sauvignon blanc, they tend to be more oaky.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs large shrimp, shelled
- 9 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups drained and rinsed canned chick-peas (two 19-ounce cans)
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 pita bread
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1Light the grill or heat the broiler. Thread the shrimp onto four skewers. Brush the shrimp with 2 tablespoons of the oil; sprinkle with the oregano, 1/4 teaspoon of the salt, and the pepper.
- 2In a medium saucepan, heat 5 tablespoons of the oil over moderately low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the chickpeas, water, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon of salt and heat until warmed through. With a potato masher, mash the chickpeas. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and the parsley. Cover to keep warm.
- 3Grill or broil the shrimp, turning once, until just done, about 4 minutes in all. Meanwhile, spread both sides of each pita with the butter and grill or broil, turning once, until golden, about 4 minutes in all. Cut into quarters.
- 4In a small glass or stainless-steel bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons each of oil and lemon juice. Mound the chickpeas on plates. Top with the shrimp skewers and surround with the pita quarters. Pour the lemon oil over the shrimp and chickpeas.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grilled Shrimp and Pitas With Chickpea Puree
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1008.5
- Calories from Fat 435
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 289.7 mg
- Sodium 1957.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 52.3 g