A versatile recipe from Ellie Krieger at Foodnetwork. Posting for ZWT6. You could prepare the veggies and dressing ahead, cut the 1/2 inch pieces right before assembling,and then assemble and portion out what you want later. If you want to give this more substance, serve with rice or couscous.
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 lb eggplant, cut across into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices (about 8 ounces each)
- 1⁄2 cup mixed mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄4 cup fresh mint, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, chopped (optional)
- Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a tray or work surface.
- Lightly spray both sides of veggies with olive oil cooking spray.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over a medium-high heat.
- Grill the vegetables in batches until both sides are nicely charred and the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes for the pepper, about 8 minutes for the eggplant and onion, and about 6 minutes for the zucchini and mushrooms.
- When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and oregano.
- Pour over the vegetables and toss.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Gently stir in the tomatoes and mint.
- Divide the salad between 4 plates and sprinkle with the feta and pistachios.