1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
I found this on the internet somewhere and it said you could wrap the loaf tightly in plastic wrap and chill it overnight. Then you could actually cook it in your rotisserie. I tried that and it didn't work lol. So I followed their directions for making a loaf. It was delicious. I will include the directions for rotisserie but don't holler if it doesn't work. Time does not include draining yogurt, or chilling loaf overnight.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon dried ground rosemary
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 5 -6 mint leaves, finely minced
- 2Process the onion in food processor for 10 to 15 seconds.
- 3Put into dish towel and squeeze almost all juice and discard juice.
- 4Return onion to food processor and add lamb, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- 5Process about 1 minute until it becomes a fine paste.
- 6Scrape sides occasionally.
- 7TO COOK IN ROTISSERIE:.
- 8Form the meat mixture into a loaf.
- 9Roll tightly in plastic wrap removing all air pockets.
- 10Twist ends so wrap is tight.
- 11Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- 12Place meat on rotisserie skewer.
- 13Place aluminum foil, shaped like a bowl, underneath to catch drippings.
- 14Cook on high for 15 minutes.
- 15Reduce to medium and cook 30-45 minutes, until inside temp is 175.
- 16TO COOK IN OVEN AS LOAF:.
- 17Preheat oven to 325.
- 18Place mixture in loaf pan.
- 19Place loaf pan in water bath and bake for 60-75 minutes.
- 20Temp should reach 165-170.
- 21Remove from oven and drain off fat.
- 22Place loaf pan on cooling rack.
- 23Place something heavy (such as a brick wrapped in aluminum foil) directly on top of meat fof 15-20 minutes.
- 24TZATZIKI SAUCE:.
- 25Place yogurt in a tea towel, suspend over a bowl and drain for 2 hours in refrigerator.
- 26Place the chopped cucumber in a tea towel and squeeze to remove the liquid.
- 27Discard liquid.
- 28Combine drained yogurt with all other sauce ingredients.
- 29Store in refrigerator in air tight container up to a week.
- 30TO SERVE:.
- 31Slice lamb and serve on pita bread with tzatziki sauce, chopped onion, tomatoes, and feta cheese.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ground Lamb Loaf & Tzatziki Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 419.1
- Calories from Fat 291
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 99.0 mg
- Sodium 665.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 22.9 g