Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
So it may not be "authentic" it's still a great meal, and pretty healthy.
Make and share this Gyro Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pita breads, cut into quarters
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook beef, onion and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring fequently, until the meat is browned and crumbly. Mix in the the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and salt.
- Spoon beef mix into the prepared dish. Arrange pita bread on top of the beef.
- Bake until the filling is bubbly and pitas are golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, mint and remaining garlic; mix well. Serve sauce with casserole.
This turned out really good. Due to personal preference I used Cucumber Sauce for Gyros #129930 just because I like a dill based sauce instead of mint. I like the way the pita gets sorta crunchy. I fun recipe. Thanks. I'm sure we'll make this often.
I used a pound of ground Bison and a pound of ground lamb. Tweaked up the spice amounts to compensate for the extra 1/2 pound of meat. Tasted pretty close to authentic! Next time I'll split the pitas in half and stuff them with the cooked meat. I also topped them with the Tsatsiki sauce and some feta cheese. Served them up with roasted potatoes and a green salad (maybe Greek salad next time?) Delicious. This will definitely go into rotation.
I really liked this. My only complaint is that the filling came out very watery and that made it hard to eat. On the other hand it was quick and easy and tasty. I made only a few small changes to the sauce: I added some salt and about 2 tsp. of rice vinegar. I used Greek yogurt. Yum, thanks.