So it may not be "authentic" it's still a great meal, and pretty healthy.
Make and share this Gyro Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 15 ounces canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pita breads, cut into quarters
- 1 cup chopped English cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mint
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2 quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cook beef, onion and 1 1/2 teaspoons of the garlic in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring fequently, until the meat is browned and crumbly. Mix in the the tomatoes, parsley, oregano, cumin, cinnamon and salt.
- Spoon beef mix into the prepared dish. Arrange pita bread on top of the beef.
- Bake until the filling is bubbly and pitas are golden, 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, mint and remaining garlic; mix well. Serve sauce with casserole.