Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Traditionally, Gyro is made from Pork slices that are cooked on a vertical spit. It is grilled slowly with aromatic herbs and spices and then sliced thinly into a pita. Seeing that some restaurants have adapted the recipe to include ground pork and lamb.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Form the meat into thin, oblong patties.
- You can fry, bake or charcoal grill them, depending on your taste preference.
- Sandwich Ingredients.
- cooked lamb meat.
- Fried Greek Pita Bread.
- sliced onions.
- sliced tomatoes.
- To assemble the sandwich:.
- Fry a pita in a hot skillet with a dash of olive oil, just until golden on each side. Take the pita and add your meat to the center. Top it with tzatziki, sliced tomato, onions and a sprinkle of parsley. Roll the pita up, and you have Gyro!
- These are messy sandwiches, so if you’d like to keep it neat, wrap a piece of waxed paper over the bottom half of the sandwich to keep the juices from running down your hands.