Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Note: This is one of the recipes I adopted in the Great 'Zaar Ophan Adoption of 2005. I hope you enjoy it.
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 slices bread, day old and partially dried
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled & seeded & diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- white pepper
- -----------TZATZIKI SAUCE-------------.
- Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and pepper in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Blend yogurt mixture with a whip until smooth.
- Dry cucumbers by patting with paper towels.
- Add Cucumbers and dill to yogurt mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix lamb and beef in a glass bowl.
- Crumb bread into meat mixture.
- Add Spices and mix well.
- Stir egg into meat mixture Form mixture into 2 large patties and place on a medium hot grill for 5 minutes per side or until the Gyros is cooked through.
- Serve sliced gyros on warm pita bread with fresh sliced tomatoes, onions and Tzatziki sauce.