Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Note: This is one of the recipes I adopted in the Great 'Zaar Ophan Adoption of 2005. I hope you enjoy it.
- 1⁄2 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 slices bread, day old and partially dried
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fenugreek
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 small cucumbers, peeled & seeded & diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- white pepper
- -----------TZATZIKI SAUCE-------------.
- Combine yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and pepper in a bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour.
- Blend yogurt mixture with a whip until smooth.
- Dry cucumbers by patting with paper towels.
- Add Cucumbers and dill to yogurt mixture.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix lamb and beef in a glass bowl.
- Crumb bread into meat mixture.
- Add Spices and mix well.
- Stir egg into meat mixture Form mixture into 2 large patties and place on a medium hot grill for 5 minutes per side or until the Gyros is cooked through.
- Serve sliced gyros on warm pita bread with fresh sliced tomatoes, onions and Tzatziki sauce.
We really like this - had it over a romaine salad with lots of feta, some cubed tomatoes, and black olives. Baked up very lean and dense, sliced well (you must let it cool to lukewarm to get nice thin slices). Still working on perfecting the tzatziki sauce....