1 hr 10 mins
Gyros ("yeeros" in Greek) is made with compressed meat,consisting of various cuts of beef that are chopped, minced or ground,then shaped into a cylindrical shape, and roasted on a vertical skewer. This is a good substitute for the commercial gyro.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (rub between your fingers)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 lb flank steak
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 4 pita bread rounds
- 3 cups lettuce, chopped
- 1 cup peeled diced and seeded tomato
- 1 cup peeled diced and seeded cucumber
- 1 cup plain yogurt (drained)
- 1Combine wine, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
- 2Cut steak across the grain into slices as thin as possible.
- 3I use the Chinese trick of putting the meat in the freezer and partially freeze so that it will slice easier.
- 4Pour wine marinade over meat strips, refrigerate and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- 5Drain strips.
- 6Add butter or margarine to saute' pan.
- 7Add meat, in two batches, and saute' until brown on both sides.
- 8Remove to serving platter and keep warm.
- 9Wrap pitas in damp paper towels and microwave until very warm.
- 10Open one end of each pita to make pocket.
- 11Set out lettuce, tomato, cucumber, and yogurt.
- 12Let each person make his own.
- 13Tips: If you are lucky enough to have a Middle Eastern food store around,ask them for Lebne (pronounced"leeb nee") and use in place of the drained yogurt.
- 14It is much richer and creamier.
- 15Or make your own Tzatziki (cucumber, garlic, yogurt dip).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gyros (as close as you can get without the spit!)
Serving Size: 1 (374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 518.1
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.0 mg
- Sodium 734.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 32.7 g