- Prepare dressing by heating balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sugar and stir until it caramelises and mixture changes to a darker colour.
- Take off heat and set aside to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in olive oil and add seasoning to taste.
- Unwrap the Halloumi cheese and cut into six slices.
- Season flour with salt and pepper and coat pieces of Halloumi with flour on both sides.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan until very hot and add Halloumi pieces.
- Fry one or two minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Pour half of dressing on warm plate until it covers the whole plate evenly.
- Add cheese pour the rest of the dressing on top.
- Garnish with sprigs of parsley and serve with hot pitta bread.
I really liked the dressing in this recipe. My tip is to remember to wash and soak the cheese in fresh water to remove the salty brine. The salt is pretty overpowering if you don't if you have the genuine Cypriot article. Another good recipe Poppy!
I preferred it with the dredging of flour, actually! The slices went lovely and crispy on the outside and stringy inside. I used normal flour with lots of coarse ground black pepper (love that pepper!). The balsamic dressing was beautiful with the cheese, but I wasn't sure how long to cook it down--maybe I needed to reduce it much more, because I found that the cheese was swimming in the dressing. It was delicious, nonetheless. Thank you for sharing such a simple yet drool-making recipe :)
Simple, elegant and so tasty! Served with salad greens like in the picture.