1/2 Photos of Halva (A Greek Sweet Using Semolina)
This is a type of pudding, very popular here in Greece. Economical to make and tasty.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup best quality olive oil (or you can use a combo of 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup corn oil or butter, anything totalling 1 cup)
- 2 cups fine ground semolina
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1Dissolve the sugar in the water and milk and bring it to a bare simmer.
- 2Boil for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- 3At the same time, brown the semolina in the oil on medium-high heat, stirring continuously.
- 4This should take 4-5 minutes. Add the nutmeats for the last 2-3 minutes to toast them slightly.
- 5When the semolina has taken a golden brown colour, add the syrup to it (taking care not to burn your hands, as this bubbles and steams up excessively- be prepared!), turn down the heat and keep stirring until you get a kind of thick porridge. Continue cooking until the mixture is very thick and pulls away from the sides of the pan as you stir.
- 6Spoon into a buttered or oiled bundt pan and pack down with the back of a spoon. Let it cool. (I use a silicone bundt pan for this - eliminates the need to grease, and my halvah comes out in a pretty pattern).
- 7Unmold onto a platter and sprinkle with more walnuts, toasted sesame (optional) and cinnamon.
- 8You should not put this dessert in the refrigerator.
- 9It can keep for a few days outside the refrigerator, assuming you can gather enough will power not to eat it all at once.
- 10Some oil may start to drain off after a day or so, but this is to be expected, just dab it away with some kitchen paper.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halva (A Greek Sweet Using Semolina)
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.4
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 4.5 mg
- Sodium 17.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 26.8 g
- Protein 5.0 g