The perfect accompaniment to fruit or cream desserts. These are "sweet and spicy". Very good with Fragrant Apricot Ice Cream (Verikoka Pagota Aromatika). Posted for ZWT6. From "Flavors of Greece" by Rosemary Barron.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄3 cup aromatic honey, such as Hymettus or 1⁄3 cup orange, blossom
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups hazelnuts or 3 cups walnuts, finely ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 325.
- Brush 2 baking sheets with the MELTED butter and dust with flour.
- Beat the ROOM TEMPERATURE butter and the sugar in a large mixing bowl until pale and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in the honey,then the eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in the cloves, cinnamon, and half of the hazelnuts.
- If the mixture is not stiff enough to hold its shape, add more or all of the hazelnuts.
- Place heaping tablespoons of the mixture 2 inches apart on the baking sheets.
- Pull dough gently up into a cone shape.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until firm, but not hard.
- Transfer to racks to cool.
- Liberally dust with confectioners' sugar and pile high on a platter.