Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a recipe that I adapted from one I saw on YouTube. I have tried making homemade yogurt many times, using various methods and, BY FAR, this is the easiest way I've found. AND...It makes fabulous yogurt! I followed the directions on YouTube and mixed some with berries and honey. Yum!
- Pour the milk and powdered milk into a large pot or saucepan and heat on stove to 185F, stirring constantly. This should take about 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the milk sit until the temperature reads 110°F
- Add the starter and stir to combine.
- Put the lid on the pot and wrap the pot in a blanket. Put it in a warm place (I use my oven - turned off, of course!).
- Leave it for at least 12 hours. When you check it, it should be solidified, but creamy when stirred.
- Empty the yogurt into a colander lined with cheesecloth. Set the colander in a large bowl and put it back in the blanket for 1-2 hours.
- When you check it, there should be about a cup to a cup and a half of clear liquid (whey) in the bowl and the yogurt will be thickened considerably.
- Transfer the yogurt to the container and refrigerate.