14 hrs 30 mins
This is a recipe that I adapted from one I saw on YouTube. I have tried making homemade yogurt many times, using various methods and, BY FAR, this is the easiest way I've found. AND...It makes fabulous yogurt! I followed the directions on YouTube and mixed some with berries and honey. Yum!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pour the milk and powdered milk into a large pot or saucepan and heat on stove to 185F, stirring constantly. This should take about 10 minutes.
- 2Turn off the heat and let the milk sit until the temperature reads 110°F
- 3Add the starter and stir to combine.
- 4Put the lid on the pot and wrap the pot in a blanket. Put it in a warm place (I use my oven - turned off, of course!).
- 5Leave it for at least 12 hours. When you check it, it should be solidified, but creamy when stirred.
- 6Empty the yogurt into a colander lined with cheesecloth. Set the colander in a large bowl and put it back in the blanket for 1-2 hours.
- 7When you check it, there should be about a cup to a cup and a half of clear liquid (whey) in the bowl and the yogurt will be thickened considerably.
- 8Transfer the yogurt to the container and refrigerate.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Greek/Balkan Style Yogurt
Serving Size: 1 (235 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.9
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 32.5 mg
- Sodium 144.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: