Perfectionist cook's Note:
This is an interesting recipe from a small village in Crete called Agios Thomas. For those who don't know, Cretan cooking is considered one of the best regional cuisines in Greece. In this recipe, pork mince is marinated for a week in vinegar, flavoured and stuffed into sausage casings and finally smoked over hot coals. Now I haven't tried this but I have to say it sounds good, really good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Get your butcher to grind the pork coarsely (the typical finely-ground mince won't do for this recipe) or grind it yourself using the appropriate attachment on your food processor.
- 2Put pork mince into a large non-reactive tub and add vinegar and salt. Leave it to marinade for a week mixing it at regular intervals.
- 3Note: If using pig intestines as sausage casings rinse well, turn inside out and scrub with salt to clean. Repeat daily for a week.
- 4Add pepper and cumin to the sausage mixture and fry a small ball in order to check the seasonings.
- 5Tie the intestines or sausage casings at one end with butcher's twine.
- 6Fill sausages carefully making sure not to tear the casings and gently pressing the mixture down the casing to the end of the sausage.
- 7Make long thin sausages about 2cm or 1 inch in diameter tying at the other end with twine.
- 8Pierce the sausages at several points with a pin or needle and then string them up over a fireplace with hot coals.
- 9Smoke over low heat making sure to add twigs from a sage bush or cypress tree. The sausages should be a rich brown colour and quite dry when cooked. Alternatively use a smoker and follow the instructions.
- 10Serve fried, cooked over hot coals or baked with a glass or Cretan raki or ouzo.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Smoked Pork Sausages With Vinegar.
Serving Size: 1 (6007 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 902.9
- Calories from Fat 635
- Total Fat 70.6 g
- Saturated Fat 26.2 g
- Cholesterol 240.0 mg
- Sodium 189.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 56.2 g