Global Gourmet, Submitted for ZWT 6.
Make and share this Honey Lemon Yogurt Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Combine the honey, zest, 6 tablespoons of the sugar, and 2 cups of water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes; syrup should lightly coat the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove lemon peel and stir in the lemon juice.
- Set pan aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a deep, 9-inch round cake pan.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar together until pale and thick.
- Sift 1-1/4 cups of flour and baking powder together. Add to the egg mixture and stir.
- Add remaining butter and yogurt cheese.
- Add just enough flour to make a dough stiff enough to come away from the sides of the bowl.
- In another bowl: Beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Add 1/3 to the yogurt batter and gently fold inches
- Carefully fold remaining whites into batter.
- Spread into cake pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Cake should be golden brown. When cake is still warm, pour syrup over the cake. Let cake sit for at least 4 hours before serving.