Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Make and share this Honey Shortcakes and Strawberries recipe from Food.com.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, finely shredded
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 cups fresh fruit (such as small whole strawberries, or peeled, sliced, and or or chopped mangoes, kiwi fruit, pineappl)
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease and flour six 3/4 to 1-cup individual tube pans or 10-ounce custard cups; set pans or cups aside.
- In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick.
- Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 3 to 4 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the 1/4 cup honey.
- Add the flour mixture; beat on low to medium speed just until combined.
- In a small saucepan heat and stir milk and butter until butter melts; add to batter, beating until combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans or cups.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Cool cakes in pans or cups on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- Place cakes on platter or individual plates.
- Combine 2 tablespoons honey, lime peel, and lime juice; toss with fruit.
- To serve spoon fruit mixture over cakes.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream, if desired.
What a lovely treat this recipe made. It is beautiful, tall, fluffy and full of flavor. We loved it served with the stewed strawberries and a little whipped cream. Thank you for sharing a recipe that I will make again.
These are fabulous shortcakes. The texture and lightness of them remind me more of a denser angel food cake. All in all they are perfect. I love using honey as a sweetener!! I used a mix of fresh strawberries and blueberries for my fruit topping. I then topped it with Creamy Pudding (Yalanci Tavukgogsu) in place of whipped topping. That was a good blend of flavors too. Made for the ZWT6 tour. This is a keeper and I'll be using it often during the summer months!