Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
A simple cake flavored with chopped walnuts and orange rind, soaked with a syrup made with honey and orange liqueur. This is a Greek cake traditionally served at Christmas. Prep time does not include a 3 hour standing time before serving.
- Make the syrup: In a small saucepan, combine honey and water, and heat over medium heat until the honey dissolves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in liqueur.
- Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Brush a 9-inch tube pan with melted butter and dust with flour,set aside.
- Beat eggs until light and fluffy, add sugar, remaining melted butter, and orange rind and mix until creamy.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and walnuts in a large bowl.
- Add the egg and sugar mixture to the bowl,beat thoroughly and fold in the yogurt.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a cake taster comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Using a tooth pick, poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Spoon the cooled syrup over the cake and let it stand for at least 3 hours before serving.
This is so good!Lots of orange and almond flavor.I baked it in a bundt pan and it came out looking as good as it tasted.Thanks