1 hr 15 mins
A simple cake flavored with chopped walnuts and orange rind, soaked with a syrup made with honey and orange liqueur. This is a Greek cake traditionally served at Christmas. Prep time does not include a 3 hour standing time before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Make the syrup: In a small saucepan, combine honey and water, and heat over medium heat until the honey dissolves.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and stir in liqueur.
- 4Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 5Brush a 9-inch tube pan with melted butter and dust with flour,set aside.
- 6Beat eggs until light and fluffy, add sugar, remaining melted butter, and orange rind and mix until creamy.
- 7Combine the flour, baking powder and walnuts in a large bowl.
- 8Add the egg and sugar mixture to the bowl,beat thoroughly and fold in the yogurt.
- 9Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until a cake taster comes out clean.
- 10Remove cake from oven and cool on a rack for 10 minutes.
- 11Using a tooth pick, poke holes in the top of the cake.
- 12Spoon the cooled syrup over the cake and let it stand for at least 3 hours before serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey-soaked Walnut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (122 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 404.9
- Calories from Fat 206
- Total Fat 22.8 g
- Saturated Fat 11.0 g
- Cholesterol 96.2 mg
- Sodium 90.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 29.5 g
- Protein 5.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: