1/2 Photos of Hortotiropita (Greens and Cheese Pie) With Chard
1 hr 20 mins
Pies are in Greece very popular. This one was prepare with Swiss chard, but can be substitute with spinach or "vlita".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare your dough mixing the ingredients if possible with a food processor.
- 2Cut the chard in ½ inch small pieces.
- 3Sautee the leek in the olive oil.
- 4Add to chard pieces to the leek. Cover and cook for 10 minutes covered.
- 5Add salt and pepper, incorporate to the greens and continue to stir over medium heat until the greens water is absorbed.
- 6Do not add any water.
- 7Keep aside to cool down a little.
- 8Add dill and mint.
- 9Crumble the feta cheese into the beaten eggs (but keep ½ beaten egg aside).
- 10If the greens mixture when cooled has produced a lot of liquid, drain it before adding to the cheese and egg mixture. Season again and mix well.
- 11Work your dough shortly and prepare your sheet.
- 12Now you can prepare a big pie or several small pastries.
- 13For the pie oil the base and the side of the container with olive oil. Coat the bottom of your mold with 2/3 of the dough. Spread your filling and cover with the sheet of the remaining dough.
- 14For the pastry shape “big ravioli” with the sheet of dough and the filling.
- 15Brush the beaten egg and decorate with sesame seeds.
- 16Cook in a preheated oven at 180 grades C for 40 minutes until pie/pastry becomes golden.
- 17Serve it warm or chilled.
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hortotiropita (Greens and Cheese Pie) With Chard
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 663.9
- Calories from Fat 404
- Total Fat 44.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 150.2 mg
- Sodium 1138.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 19.6 g