Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Here's a delicious way to make creamy hummus without the added fat of tahini and olive oil. This is my variation of the hummus recipe found in Mediterranean Light Cookbook by Martha Rose Shulman.
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Drain and rinse the beans and combine in food processor with other ingredients.
- Blend until thoroughly smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Optional additions to change things up:
- 1 T roasted red peppers, or
- 1 T fresh cilantro, or
- 1/2 T chopped jalapeno pepper with 1 t dry salsa seasoning.
Made this for a family gathering and surprised the bunch with how tasty hummus can be without the oil! Delicious!!
Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I added some garlic and it was terrific.
This is was a bit bland. I added 4 garlic cloves and it made it much better. All around a great dip considering it was fat free.