1/2 Photos of Imam Baildi Aka Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
1 hr 10 mins
The mediteranean deli down the street makes the most awesome eggplant. After asking for help on the boards, I finally discovered its Turkish and/or Greek name. This recipe is from El Cafe Griego - it sounds the closest to all I've looked at. I can't wait to try it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2Cut ends off the eggplants/aubergines.
- 3Make an opening for the stuffing by using a sharp knife and slicing the eggplant from the stem end down to the other, make sure that you don't cut them all the way through.
- 4In a skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat.
- 5Fry the eggplant gently.
- 6If needed, you can add some more oil in the frying pan.
- 7Remove the eggplant from the skillet and place in an 8"x8" baking dish.
- 8Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 9Add the remainder of the olive oil to the same skillet.
- 10Sautee the onions and garlic in it until they are slightly golden being careful to not burn the garlic.
- 11You want the vegetables soft.
- 12Add the fresh tomatoes and half a cupful of water to the skillet.
- 13Add the oregano, sugar, more salt and pepper.
- 14Simmer covered, for 15 minutes.
- 15Remove stuffing from heat.
- 16Fill the eggplants with this stuffing.
- 17They will be slightly open as they don't need to be closed back over the stuffing mixture so be very generous.
- 18Bake for 4O minutes; basting them at least once.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Imam Baildi Aka Stuffed Eggplant (Aubergine)
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 428.7
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 14.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 4.1 g