The mediteranean deli down the street makes the most awesome eggplant. After asking for help on the boards, I finally discovered its Turkish and/or Greek name. This recipe is from El Cafe Griego - it sounds the closest to all I've looked at. I can't wait to try it.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut ends off the eggplants/aubergines.
- Make an opening for the stuffing by using a sharp knife and slicing the eggplant from the stem end down to the other, make sure that you don't cut them all the way through.
- In a skillet, heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil over a medium heat.
- Fry the eggplant gently.
- If needed, you can add some more oil in the frying pan.
- Remove the eggplant from the skillet and place in an 8"x8" baking dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add the remainder of the olive oil to the same skillet.
- Sautee the onions and garlic in it until they are slightly golden being careful to not burn the garlic.
- You want the vegetables soft.
- Add the fresh tomatoes and half a cupful of water to the skillet.
- Add the oregano, sugar, more salt and pepper.
- Simmer covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove stuffing from heat.
- Fill the eggplants with this stuffing.
- They will be slightly open as they don't need to be closed back over the stuffing mixture so be very generous.
- Bake for 4O minutes; basting them at least once.