1/4 Photos of Island Pasticio (Greek Noodle Casserole With Ground Meat)
1 hr 20 mins
This tasty pasticio recipe is very popular in Greece. If you close your eyes and taste it, you'll travel and you will arrive in a taverna on a Greek Island.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g noodles (ziti or penne rigate)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 500 g ground beef
- 450 g tomatoes, pelati chopped
- 2 tablespoons bread, crumbs
- 100 ml dry wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato concentrate
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons kefalotiri (substitute pecorino or parmigiano cheese)
- 1 egg
- 1Prepare the pasta in salted water as indicated in the product descriptions. Drain it well and keep warm.
- 2In the meanwhile prepare the meat sauce:.
- 3Fry the onion in the oil until golden.
- 4Add garlic and meat. Cook for 5-8 Minutes until done.
- 5Switch off the heat.
- 6Add all the other ingredients one after the other as indicated in the ingredients list.
- 7If necessary adjust the salt.
- 8Mix milk with water in bowl.
- 9For the bechamel melt margarine and add the flour.
- 10Reduce heat when the flour changes color and add the milk/water mix at once. Stir it quickly until it thickens. Switch off the heat source.
- 11Add all the remaining ingredients and adjust the salt.
- 12Prepare your baking mold with some olive oil.
- 13Put 2/3 of the pasta on the bottom of the mold (at least a 4 liter casserole!).
- 14Add the meat sauce, followed by the remaining pasta and top with the bechamel sauce. Don't stir!
- 15Bake 40 Minutes at 180°C or until the top is golden (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
Browse Our Top Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Macaroni And Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Island Pasticio (Greek Noodle Casserole With Ground Meat)
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 814.8
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.7 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 200.0 mg
- Sodium 606.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 33.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: