Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- Prepare the squid, rinse them, and drain in a colander for 1 hour.
- Deep-fry them as long as the oil is not too hot (about 350 grades F/ 80 grades C is the right temperature).
- Put the flour with salt in a plate, mix well and add half of the pieces of squid, but leave the tentacles for the end.
- Turn them in the flour, then lift a few pieces up at a time, shake excess flour off and drop them in the hot oil.
- When they turn a nice golden color lift them out with a slotted spoon.
- At the end sprinkle the lemon juice all over, some oregano, and serve immediately.
- These squid should always be fried just before they are to be eaten and should not be re-fried or re-heated!
after frying-put back in pan, steam squid in vingar--I like this cold or hot. The vingar takes the fishy taste out, that is how my gandmother taught-they were from the island just off from Greece
FYI: 350 fahrenheit translates to 180 celcius, rather than 80. If you cook it at 80, they certainly won't be crispy! ;o)
Great name, great recipe, I love the simplicity and will have to tune it a bit to get a better looking result thanks S.F.