Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a very good Mediterranean style chicken dish that I love (lemon lover here). You just brown the chicken for a few mins and add the rest of the ingredients and place it in the oven while you go about making a salad (or whatever).
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup dried orzo pasta
- 1⁄2 cup drained pitted kalamata olive
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lemon (cut into wedges or chunks)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- hot chicken broth (optional)
- snipped fresh oregano (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven brown chicken in hot oil over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Stir in orzo, olives, the can of broth, lemon wedges, lemon juice, Greek Seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink.
- Serve in shallow bowls with additional broth, if desired. Top with snipped oregano.
This was very good, and I am sure I will make it again. I used bone in thighs and I think that was a good choice, they were falling off the bone tender. I loved the tangy flavor that the olives and lemons provided, but next time, I will include even more. The lemon wedges were a little bitter, so next time I will remove them before serving, but I would like even more lemon flavor. Maybe adding more lemon juice would do it. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT9
1/10-- sent DH to the store for some "skin-on, bone-in thunder-thighs"! Added some Meyer lemon juice (courtesy of an Arizona Zaarie), and threw in 6-8 peeled garlic cloves . Set at 400* for 60 min, then reduced to 350* for another 30 ! YUMMM! NO leftovers !! 4/07I used 4 LARGE bone-in, skin-on thighs - believe that is more flavorful. Let it bake for about 45-50 minutes -- prefer doneness to falling off the bone tender. The combination of lemon, kalamata, and Greek seasoning made a nice, flavorful dish -- and preparation was surely a snap. Served withBalsamic Baby Carrots for an easy Saturday night meal -- with sufficient leftovers for a repeat. Thanks for posting. Janey
I really loved this recipe. did not have lemons on hand and it still was great. Used bottled juice. Will for sure make again with fresh lemons. also just used dried oregano in place of greek seasoning.