1/1 Photo of Karithopasta - Greek Walnut Syrup Cake
Perfectionist cook's Note:
This is a variation on a popular Greek dessert which is a firm baked cake covered with sugar syrup. The syrup is allowed to seep into the cake for a few hours (preferably overnight) and it sweetens and moistens it. Note that this recipe uses breadcrumbs instead of flour and is useful when you want to bake something but have run out of flour.
My Private Note
small s ...
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g butter (butter tastes better but margarine is fine)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup liqueur (brandy, orange or whatever you like)
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup finely ground walnuts
- 1Grease a 22cm by 35 cm pan with butter or margarine. Do not line with baking paper or use non-stick sprays.
- 2Beat butter in a medium bowl until softened and add sugar beating until light and fluffy.
- 3In a separate bowl combine breadcrumbs, spices and baking powder.
- 4Add eggs one at a time to the butter mixture, beating well after each addition and then the liqueur.
- 5Add dry ingredients to butter mixture and beat until combined.
- 6Finally add the walnuts and beat until just combined.
- 7Tip into baking pan and smooth evenly over bottom.
- 8Bake on the bottom rack of the oven at 200c for 30-35 minutes depending on how hot your oven is.
- 9Test cake by inserting skewer and allow to cool until room temperature.
- 10While cake is cooling add ingredients for syrup into a small saucepan, except for vanilla essence.
- 11Boil for 5 minutes at medium heat. Then take off heat and add the vanilla essence if desired.
- 12Pour hot syrup over cooled cake. Start by ladling slowly from one end to another and gently tip remaining syrup over cake trying to be as even as possible.
- 13Allow cake to soak syrup for a few hours. It is best if it soaks overnight.
- 14Cut cake into diamonds to serve with a swirl of whipped sweetened cream (I add a bit of vanilla essence or liqueur to the cream) and flaked chocolate.
- 15Note: It is beat to start with all ingredients at room temperature to avoid butter curdling when eggs are added.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karithopasta - Greek Walnut Syrup Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2031 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 254.8
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 66.3 mg
- Sodium 178.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: