6 hrs 50 mins
6 hrs 30 mins
From: New York’s 25: Taste Of Greece – Oct 16-Nov 18, 2006 "At Avra, we mainly serve ‘nostalgic’ Greek cuisine, explains chef Fermin Chavez, "the kind of food you might find in a Greek village or on an island. “But we allow ourselves creative license, just enough so that we are always considered Greek” adds manager Reno Christou." - Chef Fermin Chavez of Avra. Prep time is a guess, Cook time includes chill time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the caramel
For the Creme
For the Karydopita
- 1Make the caramel: Place water, lemon juice, and sugar in a saucepan. Do not stir the liquid.
- 2Bring to a boil until the syrup takes on a darkish-brown color.
- 3Pour a layer of the syrup into a large cake mold or into small individual aluminum containers and allow to cool.
- 4Make the cream: Bring the milk to a boil. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs and the sugar adding in the salt and the vanilla.
- 5Continue to beat the mixture while slowly adding the warm milk.
- 6Pour the mixture into another bowl, passing it through a sifter to filter out any clumps.
- 7Skim out any foam left on the surface.
- 8Layer the cake mold or evenly distribute into the individual forms.
- 9Place molds into a deep pan and place in a water bath.
- 10Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes.
- 11Make the Karydopita: Beat eggs and sugar until lightly frothy.
- 12In a separate bowl, mix the walnuts, bread crumb, cinnamon, cloves, and baking powder.
- 13With a wooden spoon mix into the egg-sugar mixture, folding in all the ingredients.
- 14Distribute evenly into the molds of the half-baked crème slowly in order not to disturb the consistency of the crème and continue to bake for another 35 minutes.
- 15Remove, cool to room temperature and chill for 5-6 hours.
- 16To serve, place the molds into hot water to loosen and invert the mold onto the service plate. If only one large mold was used, pour half a cup of water into it and bring the remaining sugar syrup to a boil and pour over the cake.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karydopita Creme Caramel - Walnut Cake Creme Caramel
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 635.6
- Calories from Fat 209
- Total Fat 23.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.5 g
- Cholesterol 387.2 mg
- Sodium 420.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 76.7 g
- Protein 18.6 g