1 hr 20 mins
Member #610488's Note:
A favorite any time, this Greek dessert is also a Christmas tradition for many families.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
The Walnut Cake
- 10 eggs, separated
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1 orange, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons brandy (or flavoring)
- 6 tablespoons toasted breadcrumbs or 6 tablespoons zwieback cookies, crushed
- 10 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- butter (to grease baking pan)
- coarsely chopped walnuts (topping)
- ground cinnamon (topping)
- 1Make the syrup: In a saucepan, add all syrup ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring well. Reduce heat and allow to boil gently for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2Beat egg whites, salt, and water to the firm peak stage.
- 3Preheat oven to 340°F
- 4In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks, sugar, cinnamon, and ground cloves very well until creamy and smooth.
- 5In a separate bowl, mix the baking soda, baking powder, and flour, and stir in to the mixture.
- 6Add grated orange peel and juice, brandy, breadcrumbs, and walnuts.
- 7Finally, and carefully, fold in the beaten egg whites.
- 8Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking pan (or equivalent) with butter, pour in the batter, and bake at 340F for 40 minutes.
- 9Cake is done when a knife inserted into the middle comes out dry.
- 10Spoon the cooled syrup evenly over the hot cake. Sprinkle with walnuts mixed with a little cinnamon. Allow to cool before serving.
- 11Make sure the syrup is completely cooled before adding to cake. If necessary, refrigerate for a few minutes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Karythopita (Walnut Spice Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 351.5
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 176.2 mg
- Sodium 305.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 55.6 g
- Protein 7.0 g