Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another version of the traditional Greek Cheese Pie (Tiropita).
Make and share this Kaseropita (Tiropita Using Kaseri Cheese) recipe from Food.com.
- 500 g phyllo pastry (if you are lucky enough to get the 'country-style' pastry, go for it, otherwise, regular phyllo will)
- 200 g butter, melted
- 600 g grated kasseri cheese (you could use grated gouda or swiss)
- 200 g grated kefalotiri (you could use grated parmesan or regato)
- 1 liter milk
- 4 extra-large eggs (go for 5 large)
- In a large metal baking pan (I don't have measurements- approximate at about 15x12-inch and anything close), layer 1/2 of phyllo sheets, brushing each one generously with butter before adding next, and staggering across pan to get all corners covered.
- Combine cheeses well and place in pan.
- Spread out evenly.
- Cover with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each one generously with butter before adding next, and staggering across pan to get all corners covered.
- Tuck in loose edges and brush top of pastry generously with more butter.
- With the tip of a pointy knife, mark lines where you'll eventually want to cut the pieces once baked.
- These act as steam vents.
- Make sure you don't cut all the way into bottom layer of pastry- you just want to cut through the top layer.
- Pour over any remaining butter.
- Combine milk with the eggs and beat well.
- Pour over pastry and allow to sit, at room temperature for 30 minutes to absorb the custard.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- After 20 minutes, place pastry in oven and bake till golden-brown on top.
- For the last 10 minutes of baking, place pan on floor of oven to ensure a crisp, properly-baked bottom crust.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting pieces.