1 hr 50 mins
Another version of the traditional Greek Cheese Pie (Tiropita).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g phyllo pastry (if you are lucky enough to get the 'country-style' pastry, go for it, otherwise, regular phyllo will)
- 200 g butter, melted
- 600 g grated kasseri cheese (you could use grated gouda or swiss)
- 200 g grated kefalotiri (you could use grated parmesan or regato)
- 1 liter milk
- 4 extra-large eggs (go for 5 large)
- 1In a large metal baking pan (I don't have measurements- approximate at about 15x12-inch and anything close), layer 1/2 of phyllo sheets, brushing each one generously with butter before adding next, and staggering across pan to get all corners covered.
- 2Combine cheeses well and place in pan.
- 3Spread out evenly.
- 4Cover with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each one generously with butter before adding next, and staggering across pan to get all corners covered.
- 5Tuck in loose edges and brush top of pastry generously with more butter.
- 6With the tip of a pointy knife, mark lines where you'll eventually want to cut the pieces once baked.
- 7These act as steam vents.
- 8Make sure you don't cut all the way into bottom layer of pastry- you just want to cut through the top layer.
- 9Pour over any remaining butter.
- 10Combine milk with the eggs and beat well.
- 11Pour over pastry and allow to sit, at room temperature for 30 minutes to absorb the custard.
- 12Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- 13After 20 minutes, place pastry in oven and bake till golden-brown on top.
- 14For the last 10 minutes of baking, place pan on floor of oven to ensure a crisp, properly-baked bottom crust.
- 15Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting pieces.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kaseropita (Tiropita Using Kaseri Cheese)
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.5
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 103.5 mg
- Sodium 292.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: