1 hr 15 mins
Nana Lee's Note:
The weight of the box of shredded wheat pastry is a guess. It cuts surpisingly well - the bottoms layer becomes very soft/soggy, while the top
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups finely chopped walnuts (a combo of walnut, & almonds can be used)
- 1Oven at 350ºF.
- 2Butter a 9x13" baking pan lined with foil to make removing the pastry easier.
- 3Combine sugar, water & lemon juice in a
- 4pot. (NOTE - you could also throw a cinnamon stick into the syrup mixture).
- 5Bring to a boil & simmer, uncovered for 15 minutes, then cool to room temperature.
- 6Spread half of pastry (or shredded wheat pastry) in bottom of pan.
- 7Drizzle with half the melted butter.
- 8Combine the walnuts with the cinnamon &
- 9nutmeg and sprinkle over the pastry.
- 10Layer the remaining pastry over the nut
- 12Drizzle with remaining butter.
- 13Give it a light 'press' at this stage to meld all the layers.
- 14Bake for 45 minutes.
- 15Remove from oven & pour syrup over hot pastry.
- 16When cool, cut in squares, then in half
- 17diagonally for triangles. (Allow to sit overnight - you should definitely allow it to sit several hours, unrefrigerated)
- 18remains crispy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kataifi (Greek Shredded Wheat Pastry)
Serving Size: 1 (96 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.8
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.7 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 40.6 mg
- Sodium 200.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 25.4 g
- Protein 3.4 g