My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices home-made style bread, trimmed of crust and torn into small pieces
- 1/4 cup ouzo (or substitute another anise flavored liqueur)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint leaves or 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1Soak the bread in the ouzo for at least 5 minutes.
- 2Heat half the olive oil in a skillet over moderate heat, add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are soft but not brown.
- 3Remove the onions with a slotted spoon, placing them in a large mixing bowl.
- 4Squeeze the bread dry (discard the ouzo) and add the bread to the onions.
- 5Add the ground beef, egg, mint, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, and knead vigorously with your hands, then beat with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- 6Shape the beef mixture into balls about the size of walnuts (you may find that wetting your hands with water helps prevent sticking) and then roll the meatballs in the flour to coat evenly.
- 7Place the meatballs on a cookie sheet and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- 8Add the remaining olive oil to a large skillet and brown the meatballs, 7 or 8 at a time, over high heat, cooking 8 to 10 minutes and shaking the pan from time to time.
- 9As each batch is done, remove them with a slotted spoon and place on an ovenproof serving platter.
- 10Keep them warm in a 200°F (100°C) oven while you finish cooking the rest.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Keftedakia (Greek Mint and Ouzo Flavored Meatballs)
Serving Size: 1 (140 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.4
- Calories from Fat 201
- Total Fat 22.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 84.3 mg
- Sodium 119.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: