Be prepared for the best Greek salad on the planet! --- plan ahead the dressing needs at least 2 or more hours to blend the flavors, I sometimes add in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese to the dressing for a more cheesy dressing, all amounts may be adjusted to taste ---- to marinade the salad allow to sit at room temperature before serving, see bottom of instructions --- you will find this and many more of my recipes posted here http://kittencalskitchen.com/2009/04/13/kittens-famous-greek-salad/ ---also see my Kittencal's Creamy Greek Feta Salad Dressing
- 1 cup olive oil (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
- 1 extra large lemon, juice of (can use 2 lemons ( make certain that the lemon is at room temperature before squeezing)
- 2 -4 teaspoons dried oregano (start with 2 teaspoons)
- 3 teaspoons fresh minced garlic (about 2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 large romaine lettuce, chopped (or use 2 small)
- 2 -3 plum tomatoes, cut in wedges (use Roma tomatoes)
- 1 English cucumber (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 red onion, cut in slices
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and cut into rings or sliced) (optional)
- 1⁄2 lb feta cheese, crumbled (or to taste)
- 1 cup kalamata olive
- For the dressing; in a processor or use a wire whisk process/whisk the olive oil with lemon juice, 2 teaspoons dried oregano, garlic, dried, basil, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar until smooth (add in more oregano and lemon juice if needed).
- Season with black pepper.
- Chill in fridge for a couple of hours before using to blend flavors.
- Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over; toss to combine.
- If desired allow the salad to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving, or you can refrigerate for 1 hour (tossing a few time during sitting time).