Make this only if you are a lover of Greek food, this is a full flavored rice with intense flavor and not for those with a plain palette! --- since not everyone has a taste for olives I have left them as optional, I most always add them in -- after making this a few times you will most likely want to adjust some of the ingredients to suit your taste, or you may not, the amounts listed are close to what I use when I make this rice --- this is very good!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (or use enough to cover the bottom of your saucepan)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano (rubbed between your fingers to release the flavors)
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped (do not finely mince or the garlic will burn when cooked with the onion)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup long grain white rice (washed over with cold water)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 lemon, juice of, large whole
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced (optional)
- salt (optional and to taste)
- In a saucepan heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion, oregano, chopped garlic and black pepper; cook stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the rice and stir using a wooden spoon for 3 minutes.
- Slowly add in the broth and lemon juice; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat cover and simmer until the rice is tender (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in the feta cheese (and kalamata olives if using).
- Season with salt and more black pepper if desired.
- Transfer to plate and drizzle the top with more lemon juice if desired.
This was delicious & intensely flavored as stated. First time I made exactly as stated, but the second time around I used small garlic cloves, 1/4 teas. black pepper, and a little less lemon juice. This is the perfect amount of heat & flavor for my taste.
I love to toss in some sauteed spinach at the end.
This may be my favorite rice ever! I didn't even add in the feta and olives because it tasted so good without them (and I was trying to cut out a tad bit of fat. I could live off of your recipes every meal of the day and be happy.
Tried this tonight. Only had basmati rice, and cut back on the lemon a bit, but it turned out GREAT! My 4 year old LOVED it. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Will likely double it next time! Thanks!