1/17 Photos of Kittencal's Greek Moussaka
1 hr 45 mins
Being Greek born I have tried my share of moussaka recipes over the years, this is a basic easy recipe I have been making for years and still make often, it has remained a huge family favorite, I have served this many times to guests for a dinner parties and always receive rave reviews! ---the traditional Greek moussaka usually has about 1 teaspoon cinnamon added to the meat mixture, you might want to add it in my family prefers it without --- you may also want to "sweat" the eggplant slices with a bit of salt sprinkled on for 1 hour before using
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium eggplants
- olive oil (as needed)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or can use ground lamb)
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste, I use lots!)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1Grease a 9 x 9-inch baking pan although you could use a 13 x 9 pan using a smaller pan will result in a thicker casserole.
- 2Peel the eggplants then slice 1/4-inch thick (or a little thicker won't hurt).
- 3Brush cookie sheet with olive oil.
- 4Coat each side of sliced eggplant with olive oil then season slices with salt and freshly ground pepper (I use seasoned salt for this and use as much pepper as desired).
- 5Place the eggplant slices on cookie sheet; broil under the broiler until brown; turn and broil the other side, brushing with oil if needed; repeat with all eggplant slices.
- 6In the bottom of the prepared baking dish arrange half of the eggplant slices.
- 7In a large skillet, combine beef and onions; cook stirring until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are soft; drain fat.
- 8Add in the garlic, tomato sauce, oregano, 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper to taste; pour mixture over eggplant slices.
- 9Arrange the remaining eggplant slices over the beef mixture.
- 10PREPARE THE CHEESE SAUCE: Melt the butter in a saucepan, whisk in flour, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper to taste; gradually stir in half and half or milk, cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly.
- 11In a small bowl, beat egg; stir in some of the hot sauce, then add egg to sauce mixture, mix well; add in Parmesan cheese, and stir again.
- 12Pour the cheese sauce over mixture in baking dish.
- 13Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.
- 14Cut into squares.
- 15Note: If doubling this recipe to serve 8 it is best to make two separate casseroles instead of one larger one.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Greek Moussaka
Serving Size: 1 (607 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.3
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 176.4 mg
- Sodium 1564.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 35.8 g