1/4 Photos of Kittencal's Greek Pastitsio
1 hr 50 mins
To save some time the meat sauce may be made up to a day ahead if desired, try to use extra-lean ground beef for this it will make a difference in flavor, small penne pasta may be replaced for the ziti, but I do recommend using the ziti, adjust the chili flakes to suit heat level, or you may omit if desired --- also see my Kittencal's Famous Greek Salad
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb uncooked ziti pasta
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt or 1/2 teaspoon white salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 1/2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 3 cups 18% table cream or 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste) or 1/2 teaspoon white salt (or to taste)
- ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- 3In a large pot cook the pasta in boiling water with 1 tablespoons salt until al dente; drain and return the cooked pasta to the pot.
- 4To the pasta add in 1/4 cup melted butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, pinch nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper; mix until combined then allow to cool slightly.
- 5Add in eggs and mix well; set aside.
- 6For the meat sauce; heat olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat; add in onion and crushed chili flakes, cook for about 4 minutes.
- 7Add in garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 8Add in extra lean ground beef; cook breaking up the meat with a spoon or fork until browned.
- 9Add in tomato paste, wine, beef broth, salt and pepper; mix well, then cover and simmer over low heat for about 45-50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 10Meanwhile while the meat sauce is cooking prepare the bechamel sauce; melt butter in a heavy saucepan over medium heat; stir in flour and cayenne pepper; cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- 11Add in cream and nutmeg; bring to a boil whisking/stirring constantly then cook for about 1 minute.
- 12Cool for about 10 minutes before whisking in the egg.
- 13Season with salt and black pepper.
- 14Remove about 1/2 cup bechamel sauce and mix into to the already cooked ground beef mixture.
- 15Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 16TO ASSEMBLE; spoon HALF of the ziti mixture into the bottom of the baking dish.
- 17Top the ziti mixture with ALL of the meat sauce, then top with remaining ziti mixture.
- 18Pour ALL the bechamel sauce over the ziti mixture then spread out with a spoon to cover.
- 19Top with about 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (can use more or less).
- 20Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- 21Allow to rest for about 20 minutes before slicing.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Greek Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 868.7
- Calories from Fat 467
- Total Fat 51.9 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 269.3 mg
- Sodium 750.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 39.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: