1/1 Photo of Kittencal's Greek Souvlaki (Grilled Skewered Lamb or Pork)
24 hrs 8 mins
There are many recipe out there for slovlaki, this is one I have been making for years and is a personal favorite, this can be made using lamb or pork, the secret to the marinade is the little extra bit of honey and the seasoned salt ;-) traditional Greek souvlaki is not threaded with veggies, but I like to add them on the skewers, you have the option of using them or not. Serve the lamb with toasted pitas and tzatzika sauce if desired please see my Kittencal's Tzatziki (Greek Cucumber and Yogurt Salad). Plan ahead the lamb needs to marinade overnight. You can also make these in the oven under the broiler, using metal skewers ONLY in place of wooden, turning occasionally. The vegetable amounts listed are only esimated you can use as many as desired on the skewers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean leg of lamb, cut into 2-inch cubes (or use 2 pounds boneless pork)
- 1 cup red wine (not red wine vinegar)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon liquid honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 20 large button mushrooms (might use more or less)
- 2 large red onions, cut into 8 pieces
- 20 cherry tomatoes (might use more or less)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 10 -12 wooden bamboo skewers (soaked in water for 30 minutes before threading, you might use less than 10 skewers)
- 1In a bowl mix together red wine, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, seasoning salt and pepper.
- 2Place the lamb in a large glass bowl.
- 3Pour the wine sauce over the lamb; toss to coat well.
- 4Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours, tossing occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- 5Lightly oil the grill and preheat.
- 6Remove the lamb from the marinade (discard marinade).
- 7Soak the wooden skewers in water for 30 minutes before threading.
- 8Thread the lamb, mushrooms, onion chunks and cherry tomatoes among the skewers (thread anyway you desire).
- 9Brush JUST the veggies with olive oil and season lamb and the veggies lightly with white salt (and pepper if desired).
- 10Grill until the lamb until it is medium-rare and lightly charred (about 8 minutes, rotating to cook until evenly browned).
- 11Serve the grilled lamb with toasted pitas and tzatzika sauce if desired.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kittencal's Greek Souvlaki (Grilled Skewered Lamb or Pork)
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 772.3
- Calories from Fat 517
- Total Fat 57.5 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 121.5 mg
- Sodium 117.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 38.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: