1/1 Photo of Kolokythósoupa (Greek Pumpkin Soup)
1 hr 20 mins
Mia in Germany's Note:
This is a Greek version of pumpkin soup. Submitted for ZWT 6. The recipe says either water or stock, but I prefer stock because with water it's a bit bland. Also I add some more cinnamon and allspice after pureeing and adding stock and yoghurt, but that's personal preference.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 lbs pumpkin, cubed
- 10 1/2 ounces onions, sliced
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon clove, ground
- 3 tablespoons ouzo
- 3 3/4 cups stock or 3 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1In a large pot, heat olive oil and fry sliced onions and leek until glassy.
- 2Add pumpkin cubes, continue frying for 2-3 minutes, add salt, pepper and spices and again continue frying for 1-2 minutes.
- 3Add Ouzo and some stock or water just so the vegetables don't burn, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- 4Remove from stove and puree the vegetables, then add the rest of the water or stock and heat near boiling point, stirring constantly.
- 5Add yoghurt, stirring, heat through (don't boil!) and add more salt and pepper to taste, if necessary.
- 6For garnish fry the red onion slices with some olive oil until glassy.
- 7Serve soup with fried onions and chopped parsley.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kolokythósoupa (Greek Pumpkin Soup)
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.9
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 13.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: