1/1 Photo of Kolokythakia Tiganita - Greek Battered Fried Zucchini / Courgett
Um Safia's Note:
Here's another grear vegetarian Greek dish. Soda water in the batter keeps these thin slices of fried zucchini light and crispy. A simple recipe, serve these as an appetizer or meze, or a side dish. Recipe by Nancy Gaifyllia, she says "The key to great crispy zucchini is to slice thinly and fry at high heat so the zucchini has time to cook but not absorb a lot of oil. Use a cheese slicer, mandoline, or long-bladed knife to get uniformly thin slices." Time to make doesn't include resting time. Posted for ZWT 4.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large zucchini, washed, trimmed, cut lengthwise into strips 1/8 to 3/16 inch thick
- olive oil (for frying)
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1Prepare zucchini: Cut zucchini slices in half if they are long. Slices measuring about 3 inches long work best.
- 2Put slices in a bowl, salt, and let sit 20 minutes. Pour off liquid before putting in batter.
- 3Make the batter: Pour the soda into a bowl, and stir in flour and salt slowly, using a whisk or fork to mix.
- 4Fry: Bring oil to high heat.Coat zucchini in the batter, use a fork to place pieces in oil and fry 5-6 minutes, until golden on both sides and batter puffs up. Drain on absorbent paper toweling just long enough to remove excess oil.
- 5Serve hot. (Serves 4 as a side dish, 6-8 as an appetizer/meze.).
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kolokythakia Tiganita - Greek Battered Fried Zucchini / Courgett
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 105.0
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1183.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 3.5 g