1/1 Photo of Kota Kapama(Chicken Stewed in Wine, Garlic, & Cinnamon)
1 hr 35 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Cat Cora grew up with a Greek father and mother in Jackson, Miss., then spent time in Skopelos in the Agean islands in Greece. and has restaurants in Northern California. She is also an Iron Chef on Food Network TV. She says as a child she asked for this on her birthday, when she could pick anything she wanted to eat. She loved it so much she would bribe her younger brother to ask for it on his birthday too. From the cookbook Cat Cora;s Kitchen. If you can't find Myzithra cheese you may substitute kefalotyri, parmesan, or pecorino romano.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces (2 1/2-3 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups coarsely chopped yellow onions
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated mizithra cheese (may substitute Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese)
- 1Pat the chicken pieces dry with paper towels so they won't splatter in the pan. Mix the cinnamon, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Rub the chicken pieces on all sides with mixture. Mince 3 of the garlic cloves, set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a large, deep, 12" cast iron skillet(or stainless steel, but you want high sides-about 3") over high heat. Don't crowd the pieces in the pan or the chicken will steam rather than brown. If you need to, do in 2 batches.
- 3Add the chicken to skillet and brown for 4-5 minutes on each side, moving the pieces with a metal spatula so they don't stick to the pan. When the chicken is browned nicely on all sides, remove from skillet and set aside.
- 4Reduce heat to medium high and add onions and minced garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until onions have softemed and are a rich golden brown. Add the wine and scrape the bottom of the pan with a spoon to deglaze, loosening any brown bits.
- 5When the wine has evaporated, add the water, tomato paste, and remaining 2 whole garlic cloves. Return the chicken to the pan. The liquid should cover about 3/4 of the chicken.
- 6Reduce heat to low, cover skillet with a lid, and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the chicken is tender and thoroughly cooked. If the sauce gets too thick, thin with a little more water. Taste and adjust seasoning to your taste.
- 7Great served with buttered noodles, rice, orzo, or macaroni. Sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of each serving. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kota Kapama(Chicken Stewed in Wine, Garlic, & Cinnamon)
Serving Size: 1 (696 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 886.4
- Calories from Fat 510
- Total Fat 56.7 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 1447.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 12.4 g
- Protein 60.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: