Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 40 mins
- 8 ounces phyllo dough, thawed (2 hrs., 10 to 12 sheets)
- 1 cup celery, chopped fine
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups chicken or 2 cups turkey, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- hot rice
- bechamel sauce (I posted this recipe before, so just go to the search engine!)
- Thaw phyllo dough 2 hours@ room temperature.
- In a covered skilletcook celery and onion in the 1 Tbsp.
- butter till vegetables aretender but not brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken andchicken broth.
- Cook and stir, uncovered, till all the broth isabsorbed.
- Stir in parsley, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Remove fromheat.
- Blend in beaten egg.
- Set aside.
- For each roll, stack half the sheets of phyllo dough, brushingliberally with some of the remaining butter between each layer.
- Spoon 1 1/4 cups of the chicken mixture over the phyllo layers towithin 1" of edges.
- Turn one short side over the filling about 1"; fold in long sides.
- Roll as jelly roll starting with the foldedshort side.
- Place, seam side down, on a greased shallow baking pan.
- Repeatwith remaining phyllo and filling.
- Brush each roll with additional melted butter.
- Score each rollinto 3 or 4 portions.
- Bake@ 350-degrees for 40 minutes or tillrolls are brown and crisp.
- Cut rolls where scored.
- Arrange onplatter with hot rice.
- Spoon some of the Bechamel Sauce over rolls.
- Pass the remaining sauce.
Yummy. My Family Loved This.
I love this recipe...exactly like my mom used to make. I tried to add extra phyllo for more crispy deliciousness, but it was too much and the center phyllo didn't quite bake. My fault, not the recipe's!