Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
PREP AND COOK TIME ARE GUESSES!!! From "Greek Cooking" by Lou Seibert Pappas. Got the book from my B/F's mom, cause this is a major comfort food for him and so I had to snag her copy of the book to get it. Putting here for safe keeping, but still haven't tried it.
- 3 lbs broiler-fryer chickens, cut in pieces
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 dash allspice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 pint yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Using large Dutch oven, saute chicken pieces in 3 tablespoons butter, turning to brown on all sides. Add onion and saute until golden.
- Add salt, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, garlic, and tomato paste, and cook 2-3 minutes longer, stirring frequently.
- Pour in chicken stock, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.
- Pour off pan juices and measure, you should have 2 cups. If necessary add water or reduce quickly to make that amount. Return juices to pan and add bring to a boil.
- Add rice, cover, and simmer 20 minutes, or until rice is tender. Heat remaining butter until bubbly and lightly browned in color and pour over rice, tossing lightly with a fork.
- Return chicken to the pan to heat through. Serve with a side dish of yogurt, mixed with mint, if desired.