Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 3 lbs chicken parts
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tomatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 3 cups long-grain white rice
- 6 cups chicken stock
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat and add chicken.
- Brown on all sides then remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and tomato and saute until onion turns translucent.
- Stir in oregano and lemon juice.
- Add rice and stir well to combine and coat all grains of rice.
- Add chicken stock, stir and return chicken to pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until all surface liquid has been absorbed.
- Cover, turn heat to very low and cook 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes to keep rice from burning or sticking.
A keeper! The rice is amazing, absolutely delicious and fresh. I did add salt and some black pepper to it, which I think it needs. And I didn't use the full amount of lemon - maybe half the amount, squeezing from a fresh lemon. I guessed on the tomatoes (because I'm no good at estimating weight) and would say that 4 medium sized ones is a good amount for this recipe, chopped very finely. I never worry about peeling them, and it's always fine :). I used basmati rice instead of long-grain, next time I'll try long grain - basmati grains stay separated well, but I think long grain will be nice too. Only 1 problem, hence the missing star: the chicken itself is not very flavorful. Next time, I'll probably marinate it in the lemon juice and oregano with salt and pepper.