Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 29 mins
These are called Koulourakia in Greece, and is traditionally served at Easter and Christmas time, but they are wonderful to make at any time. After you have twisted the dough 4-5 times you can shape it into any shape you desire before baking, I shape it into a candy cane form for Christmas. Store these in an airtight container
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature (no subs)
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature (no subs)
- 1⁄4 cup oil (preferably vegetable oil)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange zest (can use more if desired)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- sesame seeds
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease a cookie sheet/s.
- In a bowl using an electric mixer beat 1/2 cup butter, 6 tablespoons butter, oil and orange zest until very well blended (about 4 minutes).
- Add in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until blended (about 2 minutes).
- In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add into the creamed ingredients alternately with the orange juice.
- Divide the dough into six balls.
- Roll out one piece of dough on a lightly floured surface into about a 15-inch long rope.
- Fold rope lengthwise in half.
- Twist folded rope 4-5 times.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Brush the cookies with egg glaze and then sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely before storing.
Made these for Easter. They were more like biscuits. The kids didn't care for them and unfortunately neither did the grown ups.
A marvellous ZWT find! These were fun to make and totally delicious! I used more orange zest, because the recipe had invited me to do so but - being totally outside my comfort zone in making these - I otherwsie followed the recipe faithfully. Thank you KITTENCAL for a recipe with such wonderfully easy-to-follow instructions!