These are called Koulourakia in Greece, and is traditionally served at Easter and Christmas time, but they are wonderful to make at any time. After you have twisted the dough 4-5 times you can shape it into any shape you desire before baking, I shape it into a candy cane form for Christmas. Store these in an airtight container
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature (no subs)
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature (no subs)
- 1/4 cup oil (preferably vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest (can use more if desired)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- sesame seeds
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease a cookie sheet/s.
- 3In a bowl using an electric mixer beat 1/2 cup butter, 6 tablespoons butter, oil and orange zest until very well blended (about 4 minutes).
- 4Add in 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, egg and vanilla; beat until blended (about 2 minutes).
- 5In another bowl mix the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add into the creamed ingredients alternately with the orange juice.
- 6Divide the dough into six balls.
- 7Roll out one piece of dough on a lightly floured surface into about a 15-inch long rope.
- 8Fold rope lengthwise in half.
- 9Twist folded rope 4-5 times.
- 10Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- 11Brush the cookies with egg glaze and then sprinkle generously with sesame seeds.
- 12Bake for about 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
- 13Cool completely before storing.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Koulourakia (Greek Sesame Twist Cookies)
Serving Size: 1 (33 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 160.1
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 28.3 mg
- Sodium 77.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 7.7 g
- Protein 2.2 g