1/1 Photo of Koulourakia Smyrneika (Smyrna Biscuits)
These biscuits are traditionally made by the Greeks of Smyrna and their descendants. They are lovely to have with coffee and/or tea. Baking ammonia can be purchased at drugstores in North America. The yield I mention is arbitrary as it depends on the shape and size of the biscuits you make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add melted butter, eggs, salt, sugar and vanilla. Dissolve baking ammonia in the milk and add that to the flour mixture, too.
- 2Knead the ingredients together well until you have a soft, pliable dough.
- 3Shape dough into shapes of your choosing. 'S' shapes, braids and snails are popular in Greece.
- 4Place on a greased cookie sheet, or parchment-lined or silpat and brush with beaten egg white.
- 5Bake at 375F (180C) for 20 minutes.
- 6Note: If you can find a 'soft' flour, suitable for pastry-making, your koulourakia will be more authentic.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Koulourakia Smyrneika (Smyrna Biscuits)
Serving Size: 1 (1189 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1445.1
- Calories from Fat 472
- Total Fat 52.4 g
- Saturated Fat 31.1 g
- Cholesterol 267.1 mg
- Sodium 1186.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 211.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 51.4 g
- Protein 28.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: