1/1 Photo of Kourambiethes (Greek Almond Shortbreads)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I haven't made this recipe yet. It is posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006. The cookbook I found this recipe in says that Kourambiethes are a Christmas specialty in Greece. Prep time includes 1 hour refrigeration time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Gently melt the butter over low heat in a small heavy-based saucepan; without stirring or shaking the pan. Carefully pour the clear butter into another container, leaving the white sediment in the pan to be discarded. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2Preheat the oven to 325 and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- 3Grind the slivered almonds to a medium fine meal.
- 4In a bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
- 5Using an electric mixer, beat the chilled butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar and combine well. Add the egg yolk, vanilla, and ouzo and beat until just combined. Fold in the flour, ground almonds and the almond meal.
- 6Shape heaped tablespoons of mixture into crescents, place on the baking trays and bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly colored.
- 7Remove from the oven and dust liberally with icing sugar. Leave to cool on the trays for 10 minutes.
- 8Line a baking tray with parchment paper and dust the paper with icing sugar. Lift the warm biscuits onto this and dust again with the icicng sugar. When the biscuits are cool, dust them once again with the icing sugar before storing them in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kourambiethes (Greek Almond Shortbreads)
Serving Size: 1 (774 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.8
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 29.7 mg
- Sodium 18.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: