Prep1 hr 30 mins
I haven't made this recipe yet. It is posted for the Zaar World Tour 2006. The cookbook I found this recipe in says that Kourambiethes are a Christmas specialty in Greece. Prep time includes 1 hour refrigeration time.
- Gently melt the butter over low heat in a small heavy-based saucepan; without stirring or shaking the pan. Carefully pour the clear butter into another container, leaving the white sediment in the pan to be discarded. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 and line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Grind the slivered almonds to a medium fine meal.
- In a bowl, sift the flour and baking powder together.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the chilled butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the icing sugar and combine well. Add the egg yolk, vanilla, and ouzo and beat until just combined. Fold in the flour, ground almonds and the almond meal.
- Shape heaped tablespoons of mixture into crescents, place on the baking trays and bake for 12 minutes, or until lightly colored.
- Remove from the oven and dust liberally with icing sugar. Leave to cool on the trays for 10 minutes.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and dust the paper with icing sugar. Lift the warm biscuits onto this and dust again with the icicng sugar. When the biscuits are cool, dust them once again with the icing sugar before storing them in an airtight container.
Very nice delicate cookies! I couldn't find almond meal, so I made my own (apparently, it's just almonds ground with some sugar and/or flour). I really liked the subtle touch that the Ouzo gave -- I don't normally like anything that tastes like anise/black licorice. You could detect a flavor from the Ouzo, but it was light enough that the cookies didn't taste like anise at all. I did have to add another egg yolk to this, because my dough was too crumbly to shape without it. The finished cookies were very tender, and not nearly as sweet as one would expect with all the powdered sugar on them. Thanks for posting :)! Made for The Queens of Quisine for ZWT6 Greek Nectar of the Gods Challenge