This spicy Greek dish is made with lamb and feta cheese in a phyllo pastry. It's a great one originally from Crete. I've seen it prepared as outlined below, but I've also had it rolled up and sliced. Great either way. I believe I orginally got this is at allrecipes.com but I'm not positive. Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 24 sheets phyllo dough
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked lamb or 3 cups beef
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- 3Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes.
- 4Drain, cool and chop.
- 5Lightly brush a 9x13 inch pan with melted butter.
- 6Place 1 phyllo sheet in pan and lightly brush with butter. (Of course, I prefer to brush it with olive oil instead of butter.).
- 7Continue adding phyllo sheets for a total of 12, brushing each one lightly with butter (you don't need to completely cover each phyllo sheet).
- 8Spread cooked rice over phyllo, then sprinkle with minced garlic.
- 9Add lamb in an even layer, and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- 10Place 1 cup diced potatoes over lamb.
- 11Arrange quarters of eggs, then sprinkle with parsley, mint and lemon zest.
- 12Add crumbled feta cheese.
- 13Pour on olive oil and beef broth.
- 14Sprinkle with oregano and pepper.
- 15Finally, add beaten egg.
- 16Top with remaining 12 phyllo sheets brushed lightly with melted butter (or olive oil :D).
- 17Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- 18During the last 10 minutes, raise the temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 19Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for 15 minutes.
- 20Cut into diamonds or squares and serve warm.
- 21I like to serve this with sour cream, or even homemade tzatziki.
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kreatopita Argostoli
Serving Size: 1 (219 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 454.2
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 125.3 mg
- Sodium 524.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 10.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: