1/1 Photo of Kritiko Boureki - Cretan Boureki!
1 hr 20 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Um Safia's Note:
Here is a great traditional recipe for Boureki from Crete. These are quite easy to prepare and make a delicious light lunch or dinner. As a variation, you can add oregano & garlic. You may also use an extra sheet of phyllo to close the Boureki up!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 kg potato, cut in thin slices
- 1 kg courgettes or 1 kg zucchini, cut in thin slices
- 1 bunch fresh mint, finely chopped
- 250 ml milk
- 570 g grated mizithra cheese or 570 g crumbled feta cheese
- salt and black pepper
- 2 sheets phyllo dough (home made or frozen) or 2 sheets phyllo dough (home made or frozen)
- olive oil
- 1Roll out the first phyllo sheet and spread it on an oiled baking pan. Oil the phyllo sheet and then roll out the second phyllo sheet and spread it over the first one. Both phyllo sheets should come up above the borders of the baking pan.
- 2Mix the potatoes, courgette, cheese and mint thoroughly in a large bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Carefully spoon this mixture over the phyllo. (You can also make this by making seasoned layers of alternating vegetables ~ very pretty when sliced!).
- 3Pour over the cup of milk, fold the remaining parts of the phyllo sheets inside the pan and bake in preheated oven in 200°C until the potatoes are tender (around 1 - 1 1/2 hour). Add a little extra milk if it seems to dry out before it's done cooking.
- 4Serve warm with a salad and fresh bread!
Nutritional Facts for Kritiko Boureki - Cretan Boureki!
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 5.6 mg
- Sodium 73.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: