1/2 Photos of Lahanodolmathes (Greek Cabbage Rolls)
2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
Great winter fare - but I'm prejudiced.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1/2 lbs ground pork
- 1 cabbage, outer leaves discarded (approx 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup short-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups minced onions
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced very fine
- 2 tablespoons minced spearmint (or 1 tblsp dried, rubbed)
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1Combine the ground meats with the 3 tblsps olive oil, rice, onion, parlsey, celery, carrot, tomato paste, garlic and spearmint. Season with salt and pepper. Knead well to combine everything.
- 2Place cabbage in a large pot of boiling water and cover pot.
- 3When the outer leaves are blanched and softened, remove leaf by leaf, keeping the leaves whole, and place flat on a towel on work surface.
- 4Continue in this way, removing leaves as they become blanched and soft.
- 5Take some leaves that have not removed in one piece (the worse looking ones, or chop up some cabbage) and put in the bottom of a large pot.
- 6Take a cabbage leaf and place 2 tblsps of meat filling in the center.
- 7Fold both sides in and start rolling up, away from you, to make a cylinder, like an egg-roll or cigar. Do this rather loosely to allow for expansion of the meat and rice as it cooks. Lay these neatly in your pot, packing them in next to one another so they hold their shape.
- 8Continue rolling cabbage leaves until all your filling has been used up and/or you run out of leaves.
- 9Put more torn cabbage leaves or chopped up cabbage over the cabbage rolls.
- 10Pour over olive oil, add stock cubes and add enough hot water to just cover the cabbage rolls by ½”.
- 11Weight the cabbage rolls with a plate and bring to the boil (the plate keeps the rolls from moving around too much as they cook, so that they don’t unroll).
- 12Cook for just over an hour.
- 13Remove from heat.
- 14Carefully remove cabbage rolls to serving dish and make your sauce using the liquid remaining in pot.
- 15Beat the eggs with the corn flour and lemon juice.
- 16Very carefully and very slowly and whisking all the time, start to dribble the hot stock into the egg mixture. Keep doing this until you’ve added nearly all the stock. This tempers your eggs so that your sauce won’t curdle.
- 17Pour the sauce back into the pot, and cook until the sauce just starts to simmer.
- 18Remove from heat and serve with the cabbage rolls coated generously with this sauce.
- 19Another recipe that goes so well eaten with nibbles of feta cheese and crusty bread (as all Greek recipes seem to).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lahanodolmathes (Greek Cabbage Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (329 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 746.4
- Calories from Fat 486
- Total Fat 54.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.6 g
- Cholesterol 173.4 mg
- Sodium 458.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 6.6 g
- Protein 35.6 g