2 hrs 35 mins
A different and delicious on a Greek classic.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For lamb sauce
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb lean ground lamb
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
For cheese sauce
- 1Make lamb sauce: Cook onion in oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2Add lamb and sauté over moderately high heat, stirring and breaking up lumps, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add garlic, salt, oregano, cinnamon, sugar, and pepper and sauté, stirring, 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in eggplant and tomatoes and gently simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is just tender, about 40 minutes.
- 5Remove lid and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened, about 15 minutes more.
- 6Season with salt and pepper.
- 7Sauce can be prepared one day ahead if desired.
- 8Preheat oven to 425°F Make cheese sauce and cook pasta while lamb sauce is simmering:.
- 9Melt butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then stir in flour and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- 10Whisk in milk and add garlic clove and whole clove, then bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- 11Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 5 minutes.
- 12Add feta, salt, and pepper and cook, whisking vigorously, until cheese is well incorporated.
- 13Beat eggs in a large bowl and gradually add sauce to eggs, whisking.
- 14Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just al dente, then drain in a colander.
- 15Toss half of pasta with lamb sauce and half with cheese sauce.
- 16Assemble pastitsio: Pour pasta with lamb sauce into a wide shallow 3-quart baking dish, spreading evenly.
- 17Spoon pasta with cheese sauce on top, spreading evenly.
- 18Bake pastitsio, uncovered, in middle of oven until bubbling and top is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 19Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lamb and Eggplant (Aubergine) Pastitsio
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 516.0
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.0 g
- Cholesterol 135.8 mg
- Sodium 1194.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 21.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: