Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an adopted recipe. I tried it out with my family and they love it! It was much simpler to make than I thought it would be with a lamb recipe. Fricassee is pronounced free-cah-seh and it means a stew made with spinach, lemon, eggs and oil. This is a Greek dish.
- 2 lbs leg of lamb
- 3 lbs green onions, chopped
- 2 -3 heads lettuce, chopped (dandelions work best if you can find them)
- 1⁄2 scoop butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Cut the lamb in portions.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pot and brown the lamb in it.
- Strain excess fat. Take out the lamb.
- Add the rest of the butter, salt& pepper, the lettuce, the onions and the lamb.
- Cover and simmer for about 1 hours Stir.
- Don't fret about not having any water in the stew. The veggies will provide it as they cook.
- Prepare the avgolemono sauce, by beating together the eggs, lemon juice and flour (I use about 2 tsp).
- Just before serving, pour the avgolemono in the pot, simmer lightly and serve hot.
- Note: With 2 - 3 (2 - 3 lbs) heads of lettuce and 3 lbs of green onions, you will need a pretty big pot to hold all the chopped veggies. These will cook down to half the raw amount.